Prawn and Chive Dumplings
Serves: 4 people | Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes
2 packs De Costi Raw Prawn Meat
190g (1 cup) Chinese garlic chives or regular chives, diced
1 egg white
½ tsp white pepper
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp peanut oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 tsp sesame oil
2 packets Gow Gee dumpling wrappers (approximately 30 wrappers per packet)
- Finely mince raw prawn meat and place in to a large bowl.
- Add chives, egg white, pepper, cornflour, peanut oil, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and sesame oil. Stir to combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the dumplings, take approximately one tablespoon of prawn mixture and place in to the centre of each wrapper. Dip your finger in some water and moisten half of the wrapper.
- To create a pleated dumpling fold: fold wrapper in half and pinch the edge close. Use one hand to create pleats on the edge closest to you. As you create each fold, press it against the back edge sealing it tightly. Alternatively – you can simply fold dumplings in half and press the edges tightly shut to create a sealed half-moon shape.
- Over a pan of rapidly boiling water, place bamboo steamer lined with baking paper. Place dumplings – do not overcrowd. You may need to steam in batches depending on the size of your steamer.
- Steam dumplings for 10-12 minutes. Serve immediately as is or with your choice of condiments. Soy sauce, chilli oil or black vinegar work well.